Nutritional Knowledge You Can Use
Working as an exercise coach involves long hours. My day starts when the alarm goes off at 4 am and I’m often not home til about 8 or 8:30 pm. Don’t get me wrong, my day can have some breaks between classes, appointments, squeezing in a workout or run, and administrative work. My office is 15 miles from home so running home is not an efficient use of time to get lunch or dinner. So I like to put something together that is healthy and easy to bring with me for meals.
I like a spring mix salad for lunch but when I want to feel less hungry as the day gets longer, I need something more. So I created a kale and grain bowl that is loaded healthy ingredients.
The following ingredients list makes up enough for a large bowl that I cover and store in the fridge for the week (though it usually does not last the week!).
- 1 cup Quinoa (I like Trader Joe’s Organic Red Quinoa)
- 3 peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- Baby kale (I use a full container of organic baby kale)
- dried cranberries (about a half cup or to suit your taste)
- 3 – 4 MacIntosh apples (I prefer the Macs!)
- 1/2 package of turkey bacon (I used Trader Joe’s with no nitrites/nitrates)
- dark local honey
- Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
- Cook the quinoa per the instructions on the package
- Fry the bacon
- Chop the entire package of kale into small pieces and put into large salad bowl
- Chop the peppers into small pieces and mix them into the bowl along with the dried cranberries
- Chop the cooked bacon and mix it along with the cooked quinoa into the bowl
- Skin the apples and chop them into small pieces
- Soak/dip the apple pieces in some honey to help prevent them from browning during the week
- Mix the apples in with the rest of the ingredients using large salad spoons.
I put my serving ( I learned not to take too much because it is very filling!) into my lunch container the night before work. Add a little balsamic vinaigrette dressing and mix it up. Cover it and put it in the fridge over night. Your lunch is ready for the next day and you have a very healthy meal!
If you come up with other ideas or ingredients that you think add flavor to this, please send me an email so I can try it too! Enjoy!